Saturday, November 27, 2010

Spider-Man: The Musical

No, seriously.



My initial reaction upon hearing that U2's Bono and The Edge were working on a Broadway version of Spider-Man was pretty grim.  While I love Spider-Man and generally get a kick out of musicals, the pairing sounded disastrous.  Adding in a couple of pretentious sellout "rockers" was like adding stale croutons onto a shit salad (full disclosure -- I actually used to love U2, and still think the Joshua Tree is one of the best rock albums of my lifetime.  We parted ways after high school though, and these days I kind of just hate them in general).

But after watching this trailer, I'm actually really excited to see more.  Those villain masks look amazing, the fluidity of the set is eyebrow-raising, and the music is not unbearable (which is about as kind as I can be). 

My revised reaction; this has the potential to be awesome.


Photo by Annie Leibovitz


3 comments:

  1. hey Judd,

    I'd go see this just for the laughs

    Hey about the Superman ownership I think the solution should be, 80% goes to the government and the heirs and warner split whats left.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read good and bad reviews so far. Attack of the Show hated it, but they're kind of douchy gamers. I don't hold their non-gaming reviews too highly. A Bleeding Cool reader gave it top marks, even with the technical snafus. Hopefully a bootleg'll be available at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As for your snide Conservative Superman remarks, I don't think the issue is really an estate tax issue. As I understand it they're not fighting for revenue generated from the Superman brand already; it's more an issue of who controls the license (and therefore the revenue generation) going forward. Ergo, your anti-tax hysteria is moot. Ha!

    ReplyDelete