Friday, January 28, 2011

Eric Powell's poignant and heartfelt reflections on the state of modern creator-owned comics (UPDATED)

Well, so to speak.

The collective sphincter of the creator-owned comic book artists has been stretched to the size of Nebraska, thanks to the Galactus-sized member of the superhero monopoly.

It goes downhill from there.  While The Creators Front for Diversity in Comics did valiantly try to bleep out the swear words, it's kind of like trying to blur out the boobs in "Human Centipede."  Eric Powell paints a gruesome picture of the miserable life of a creator-owned artist trying to make his way in an industry dominated by what amounts to two giant corporations trying to squeeze every red cent out of their intellectual properties.  And, being Eric Powell, he does so in a way reminiscent of his life as a historical consultant on the set of "Deliverance."  But he does also make a hell of a point.

This one's probaly not safe for kids.  Or Republicans.





UPDATE --  Annnd... the video's been taken down.  Aparently it raised a few too many eyebrows.  Here's Powell's explanation from his Facebook page:

The video I released last week in an attempt to draw attention to the lopsided tendencies of our industry has clearly become a divisive force instead of the unifying positive one I intended it to be. For that reason I've taken it down.
I work in satire and humor. Apparently those aspects of the video were lost on some people. If anyone misconstrued the meaning, my exact quote at the end of the video was, "We have to make original creator owned content just as vital to sustaining this industry as the Marvel and DC super hero books." And that's exactly what I meant and feel. At no point did I say or even allude that no one should buy Super Hero comics. I believe diversification is the only way to keep this industry vital and strong. Our country just went through a major "TOO BIG TO FAIL" scenario. Marvel and DC control 70% of the market and there are plenty of reasons that the corporations that own them could find to stop producing comics and use those super hero properties in more profitable ventures. I still believe that to be a legitimate fear. I need no more confirmation of my beliefs than that Shelton Drum, one of the best retailers in the business and the person who runs Heroes Con, agrees with me that we need diversification.
The video came from noble aspirations and the most genuine part of my heart. I love the art form of comics. And my wishes were only to make this industry stronger and create a better atmosphere for it's creators. For that I have no apologies.
"Be the Change you want to see in the world." -Gandhi
"But I tried, didn't I? Goddamnit, at least I did that." -R.P. McMurphy
Thanks,
Eric Powell

 

No comments:

Post a Comment