Sunday, May 3, 2009

Week in Review

After just four posts, I'm already slacking off on posting. Sorry about that. It's been a busy week and several days, though. After barely scraping by with little or no work from January to April, I've suddenly got more jobs than I know what to do with. Which is great. I'm actually going to have to resign my post as master wiener vendor at the BP refinery in Blaine after the end of the week. I'm replacing it with a sweet flower shop delivery job three days a week and a cashier gig at Home Depot that may or may not extend beyond the summer, depending on the economy apparently.

In my defense I have been writing a bit this week, although it's mostly been in defense of the Flaming Lips, on the Shawnee News-Star's blog page. My friend Jason tipped me off to a thread from some fundamentalists about how awful the Lips were as ambassadors to Oklahoma. I respectfully disagreed over the course of several posts and sent them home crying to Cheney. Then they made a few weak attempts to fight back (I'm a FANatic, apparently). I put together a few response posts, but all of a sudden nothing I post seems to show up on the blog. I suspect foul play. Oh well, their brows were pretty well-beaten anyhow. Here's the link though, if anyone's interested. It's worth a few chuckles. http://news-starextra.com/blog/?p=444

There have been quite a few other highlights to the past week or two. Kristen and I went to Dirty Dan Days in Fairhaven, a two-day festival held in the honor of Fairhaven founder Dirty Dan Harris. We participated in the chowder tasting contest and suffered only minor burns. (In an effort to make the festival entirely green this year, organizers at the festival replaced plastic sampling cups with cups made from corn. Fun fact about corn cups; the melting point is substantially lower than that of plastic. Also, instead of just melting away, the cups melted from the bottom up, fusing material together as they went and creating a molten hot miniature volcano of chowdery goodness. Apparently no one saw that coming.) We also got to see the world's only annual piano race.

Saturday there was a parade downtown called Procession of the Species. It's an annual excuse for kids, adults and stoned biology majors to dress up in homemade animal costumes and march through the lower downtown area. My favorite was a father-son team dressed as dung beetles, complete with a giant paper mache ball of poo. I'll try to post some pictures later.

I think that's all the highlights of the past several days. I bought some comics this week and plan on doing regular reviews of the series I keep up with, starting within the next day or two. Kristen's visiting friends and family in Oklahoma as of tomorrow, so I'll have at least a little more time to write.

3 comments:

  1. I just finished reading the Flaming Lips thread. Don't you just want to clobber some people? You did a great job. If you want me to post your replies to see if they go through, send them on. I just might have to put in my two cents, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the offer, Deanna, but I think I'm through with those blowhards. The only other thing I wanted to bring up was the fact that we've had an actual communist sympathizer, union organizer and far-left activist representing Oklahoma for years now. But I guess they don't mind all of that when it's Woody Guthrie.

    Also, how ironic is it that the guy that's so offended by a hammer and sickle picks an avatar and a handle symbolic of mob rule?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just get tired of the grand-standing all in the name of morality or Christianity or whatever. They are offended by a t-shirt or a word but don't seem to be offended by corporate greed or environmental destruction. Perhaps I'm reading a different Bible but mine says a lot about taking care of the poor and needy and very little about how to pick a state rock song.


    This is the comment I left:

    I’m a 47 year old Christian, registered Republican mom who homeschooled her kids. And you know what? I voted for the Flaming Lips song and was delighted when they won. My husband has had “Do You Realize” as the ringtone for me on his cell phone for a few years now. I love their music and appreciate the way the Flaming Lips are such proud ambassadors for Oklahoma. I don’t care what t-shirts they wear or the language they use. They are a rock band, not a church choir.

    ReplyDelete